To support a customized search experience, you can set up new display groups for search scopes. Site administrators can also control the order of the search scopes within each group. After you create a display group, you can modify the Search Box Web Part to display it.
Create a display group
- On the home page, click Site Actions, point to Site Settings, and then click Modify All Site Settings.
- In the Site Collection Administration section, click Search scopes, and then click New Display Group.
- On the Create Scope Display Group page, type a title and description that easily identifies the purpose of the group.
- In the Scopes section, select the check box next to each scope that you want to include in the display group. You can manage the ordering of the scopes in the group by using the Position from Top lists.
- In the Default Scope list, select the scope that you want to be applied if users do not make a choice on their own.
Modify the Search box Web Part for a new display group
- On the Search Center page, click Site Actions, and then click Edit page.
- In the Search Box Web Part, click Edit, and then click Modify Shared Web Part.
- In the Search Box tool pane, click the plus sign (+) next to Miscellaneous.
- In the Scope Display Group text box, type the name of the display group that you want to use, and then click Apply.
- Make other changes to the Web Part display, and then click OK to close the tool pane.
- On the Search Center page, click either Publish or Check In to Share Draft, depending on your site permissions and workflow.