Important This feature requires Office 365 Plan E4, or Lync Plan 3 and Exchange Plan 2.
If your version of Office 365 includes Lync-to-phone, you can set up an account with a Lync-to-phone service provider so users can make calls to, or receive calls from, any phone number.
You can also set up Lync-to-phone voice mail by adding Exchange Online Unified Messaging (Exchange Plan 2).
Set up Lync-to-phone in your organization
If you haven’t already done so, license your users for Lync Plan 3 and Exchange Plan 2.
- Go to Admin > Users and groups, select all users, and then click Edit .
|Contact a Lync-to-phone provider
||Find a provider
|Add user phone numbers
||Go to Admin > Users and groups, and add the new numbers to the Office phone field.
|Add Lync-to-phone provider
- Go to Admin > Lync > Lync-to-phone > Provider.
- Choose the name of your Lync-to-phone provider, and then click Save.
Set up Unified Messaging voice mail
With Exchange Online Unified Messaging, users can access voice mail and missed call notifications from Outlook or Lync. Unified Messaging includes many other features; for details, see Overview of Unified Messaging.
|Create a SIP URI dial plan
- Go to Admin > Exchange > Unified Messaging > UM Dial Plans > New .
- Enter a unique name—for example, LyncOnlinePlan1.
- Under Dial-plan URI type, select SIP URI.
- Under Extension length, enter the length of the full phone number, including country code.
For example: for country code 353, area code 56, and phone number 555-1234, the extension length is 12.
- Enter Country/Region code, and then click Save.
|Set up multiple users with Exchange Online Remote PowerShell
To set up multiple users for Unified Messaging:
|Set up single users in the Exchange Online Control Panel
To set up a single user for Unified Messaging:
- Go to Admin > Exchange > Recipients.
- Select the user name, and then click Edit .
- Click Mailbox features.
- Under Phone and Voice Features: Unified Messaging, click Enable.
- Click Browse to add the dial plan you created earlier, and then click Next.
- Under Extension number, enter the user’s full phone number, including country code.
- Click Finish > Save.
For a printable list of all the Lync-to-phone configuration steps, see Download: Lync-to-phone Setup Checklist.