If you already have an account with a Web site hosting company, do the following on your own to help you prepare for FTP publishing.
- Get the FTP host name from your hosting company (for example, ftp.example.com).
- Get the FTP directory for your files. If your hosting company doesn't specify an FTP directory, then you don't need to specify one when you publish.
- Get the correct spelling of your home page file name (for example: index.htm, index.html, default.htm, or default.html).
- Ask your IT department, help desk, or network administrator if you are allowed to publish with FTP beyond a firewall. Also ask if you need to install special software that allows you to publish beyond the firewall.
- Make sure you know what your disk space limit is on the Web server.