When cells are not visible on a worksheet, you can watch those cells and their formulas (formula: A sequence of values, cell references, names, functions, or operators in a cell that together produce a new value. A formula always begins with an equal sign (=).) in the Watch Window toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.). The Watch Window makes it convenient to inspect, audit, or confirm formula calculations and results in large worksheets. By using the Watch Window, you don't need to repeatedly scroll or go to different parts of your worksheet.
This toolbar can be moved or docked (docked: Fixed to the top, bottom, or side of the window. You can dock a task pane, the toolbox, the menu bar, and all toolbars.) like any other toolbar. For example, you can dock it on the bottom of the window. The toolbar keeps track of the following properties of a cell: workbook, sheet, name, cell, value, and formula.
Note You can only have one watch per cell.
What do you want to do?
Add cells to the Watch Window
- Select the cells that you want to watch.
To select all cells on a worksheet with formulas, on the Home tab, in the Editing group, click Find & Replace, click Go To Special, and then click Formulas.
- On the Formulas tab, in the Formula Auditing group, click Watch Window.
- Click Add Watch .
- Click Add.
- Move the Watch Window toolbar to the top, bottom, left, or right side of the window.
- To change the width of a column, drag the boundary on the right side of the column heading.
- To display the cell that an entry in Watch Window toolbar refers to, double-click the entry.
Note Cells that have external references (external reference: A reference to a cell or range on a sheet in another Excel workbook, or a reference to a defined name in another workbook.) to other workbooks are displayed in the Watch Window toolbar only when the other workbook is open.
Top of Page
Remove cells from the Watch Window
- If the Watch Window toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) is not displayed, on the Formulas tab, in the Formula Auditing group, click Watch Window.
- Select the cells that you want to remove.
To select multiple cells, press CTRL and then click the cells.
- Click Delete Watch .
Top of Page