After you create a PivotTable based on worksheet data, on external data like an Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) data source, or on the Data Model to analyze data in multiple tables, you get access to the Field List so you can add and arrange fields in your PivotTable report.
The Field List appears when you click anywhere in the PivotTable. If you’ve clicked inside the PivotTable but don't see the Field List, do this to open it:
- Click anywhere in the PivotTable to show the PivotTable Tools on the ribbon.
- Click Analyze> Field List.
The Field List has a field section where you’ll pick the fields you want to show in your PivotTable, and an areas section where you can arrange those fields the way you want.
Tip If you want to change how sections are shown in the Field List, click the Tools button , and then pick the layout you want.
Add and rearrange fields in the Field List
Use the field section of the Field List to add fields to your PivotTable:
- Check the box next to a field name to place the field in a default area of the areas section of the Field List.
Typically, nonnumeric fields are added to the Rows area, numeric fields are added to the Values area, and Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) date and time hierarchies are added to the Columns area.
Use the areas section of the Field List to rearrange fields the way you want by dragging them between the four areas.
Fields you put in the different areas are shown in the PivotTable as follows:
- Filters area fields are shown as top-level report filters above the PivotTable, like this:
- Columns area fields are shown as Column Labels at the top of the PivotTable, like this:
Depending on the hierarchy of the fields, columns may be nested inside columns that are higher in position.
- Rows area fields are shown as Row Labels on the left side of the PivotTable, like this:
Depending on the hierarchy of the fields, rows may be nested inside rows that are higher in position.
- Values area fields are show as summarized numeric values in the PivotTable, like this:
If you have more than one field in an area, you can rearrange their order by dragging them to the correct position. To delete a field, drag the field out of the areas section.
More about PivotTables