The Microsoft SQL Server Data Mining Add-ins for Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 can help you derive patterns and trends that exist in complex data, visualize those patterns in charts and interactive viewers, and generate rich, colorful summaries for presentation and for business analytics. These add-ins utilize the predictive analytics of SQL Server in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office Visio.
Note At this time, the add-ins are only available for the 32-bit version of Microsoft Office.
In this article
Download the SQL Server Data Mining Add-ins
To download the add-ins, see Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Microsoft Office.
This package includes the following two add-ins for Office Excel 2007 and 2010 (Table Analysis Tools and Data Mining Client) and one add-in for Office Visio (Data Mining Templates):
- Table Analysis Tools for Excel This add-in provides easy-to-use tasks that leverage SQL Server Data Mining to perform powerful analytics on your worksheet data.
The 2008 version of the Data Mining Add-in adds two additional analysis features:
- Prediction Calculator This tool generates both interactive and printable calculators for scoring new data against a desired outcome. You can use it, for example, to determine if a loan application should be approved or not based on the scores it computes for customer attributes like occupation and income.
- Shopping Basket Analysis This tool helps you quickly analyze purchase transactions and identify sales opportunities.
How-to-videos are available for each tool; the first in the series is Getting started with the Table Analysis Tools (SQL Server Video).
For more information, see Data Mining Add-Ins for Microsoft Office on the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 web site.
- Data Mining Client for Excel This add-in enables advanced users to go through the full development life cycle for the data mining model within Excel by using either worksheet data or external data from SQL Server Analysis Services.
For more information, see Basic Data Mining Tutorial.
- Data Mining Templates for Visio This add-in enables you to render and share your data mining models as the following annotatable Office Visio 2007 drawings:
- Decision Tree diagrams based on Microsoft Decision Trees, Microsoft Linear Regression, and Microsoft Logistical Regression algorithms
- Dependency Network diagrams based on the Microsoft Naive Bayes, Microsoft Decision Trees, and Microsoft Association Rules algorithms
- Cluster diagrams based on the Microsoft Clustering algorithm
The templates interact with data mining models stored on an instance of SQL Server Analysis Services and provide access to the underlying data in the mining model. You can manipulate the elements included in the diagrams, add or remove nodes, and filter on the data by using probabilities. You can also work with the full range of features for enhancing the diagram that are provided by Microsoft Office Visio.
Top of Page
Compatibility with the Power Pivot Add-in for Excel
The current release of Power Pivot does not support integration between the two add-ins.
However, the Data Mining Add-Ins can be used in the same workbook as the Power Pivot for Excel Add-in, if you have installed the 32-bit version of Office and the 32-bit version of Power Pivot.
You can use data stored in SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 sources, including Analysis Services cubes. However, you cannot connect directly to the IMBI database used in a Power Pivot workbook. To use data in a Power Pivot workbook for building data models, the data must be accessible as an Excel table.
Top of Page
For additional information about the add-ins, including training, see:
Data Mining Add-Ins for Microsoft Office
Analysis Services Data Mining
Top of Page