Hide a row or column
- Select the rows or columns you want to hide.
|Text in a cell
If editing in a cell is turned on, select the cell, double-click in it, and then select the text in the cell.
If editing in a cell is turned off, select the cell, and then select the text in the formula bar.
|A single cell
||Click the cell, or press the arrow keys to move to the cell.
|A range (range: Two or more cells on a sheet. The cells in a range can be adjacent or nonadjacent.) of cells
||Click the first cell of the range, and then drag to the last cell.
|A large range of cells
||Click the first cell in the range, and then hold down SHIFT and click the last cell in the range. You can scroll to make the last cell visible.
|All cells on a worksheet
Click the Select All button.
|Nonadjacent cells or cell ranges
||Select the first cell or range of cells, and then hold down CTRL and select the other cells or ranges.
|An entire row or column
Click the row or column heading.
|Adjacent rows or columns
||Drag across the row or column headings. Or select the first row or column; then hold down SHIFT and select the last row or column.
|Nonadjacent rows or columns
||Select the first row or column, and then hold down CTRL and select the other rows or columns.
|More or fewer cells than the active selection
||Hold down SHIFT and click the last cell you want to include in the new selection. The rectangular range between the active cell (active cell: The selected cell in which data is entered when you begin typing. Only one cell is active at a time. The active cell is bounded by a heavy border.) and the cell you click becomes the new selection.
|Cancel a selection of cells
||Click any cell on the worksheet.
- On the Format menu, point to Row or Column, and then click Hide.
Display a hidden row or column
- Do one of the following:
On the Format menu, point to Row or Column, and then click Unhide.
- To display hidden rows, select the row above and below the rows you want to display.
- To display hidden columns, select the column adjacent to either side of the columns you want to display.
- If the first row or column of a worksheet is hidden, click Go To on the Edit menu. In the Reference box, type A1, and then click OK. On the Format menu, point to Row or Column. and then click Unhide.
- Instead of being hidden, the height or width of the first row or column of a worksheet may have been set to zero. In this case, point to the border of the Select All button until the cursor changes to or , and then drag to widen the row or column.