Page margins are the blank spaces between the worksheet data and the edges of the printed page. Top and bottom page margins can be used for some items, such as headers, footers, and page numbers.
To better align a worksheet on a printed page, you can use predefined margins, specify custom margins, or center the worksheet horizontally or vertically on the page.
Note Page margins that you define in a given worksheet are stored with that worksheet when you save the workbook. You cannot change the default page margins for new workbooks.
- Select the worksheet or worksheets that you want to print.
How to select worksheets
Tip When multiple worksheets are selected, [Group] appears in the title bar at the top of the worksheet. To cancel a selection of multiple worksheets in a workbook, click any unselected worksheet. If no unselected sheet is visible, right-click the tab of a selected sheet, and then click Ungroup Sheets on the shortcut menu.
- On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Margins.
- Do one of the following:
- To use predefined margins, click Normal, Wide, or Narrow.
Tip If you previously used a custom margin setting, that setting is available as the predefined margin option Last Custom Setting.
- To specify custom page margins, click Custom Margins and then, in the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right boxes, enter the margin sizes that you want.
- To set header or footer margins, click Custom Margins, and then enter a new margin size in the Header or Footer box. Setting the header or footer margins changes the distance from the top edge of the paper to the header or from the bottom edge of the paper to the footer.
Note The header and footer settings should be smaller than your top and bottom margin settings, and larger than or equal to the minimum printer margins.
- To center the page horizontally or vertically, click Custom Margins and then, under Center on page, select the Horizontally or Vertically check box.
Tip To see how the new margins will affect the printed worksheet, click Print Preview on the Margins tab in the Page Setup dialog box. To adjust the margins in Print Preview, select the Show Margins check box in the bottom right corner of the preview window, and then drag the black margin handles on either side or at the top or bottom of the page.