To save time or to promote standardization, you can save a workbook as a template (template: A workbook that you create and use as the basis for other similar workbooks. You can create templates for workbooks and worksheets. The default template for workbooks is called Book.xlt. The default template for worksheets is called Sheet.xlt.) that you can use to create other workbooks. In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, a template file (.xltx) can include data and formatting, and a macro-enabled template file (.xltm) can also include macros (macro: An action or a set of actions that you can use to automate tasks. Macros are recorded in the Visual Basic for Applications programming language.).
You can use one of your own templates to create a new workbook, or you can use one of the many predefined templates that you can download from Microsoft Office Online.
What do you want to do?
Create a template
- Open the workbook that you want to use as a template.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
- In the File name box, type the name that you want to use for the template.
- In the Save as type box, click Excel Template, or click Excel Macro-Enabled Template if the workbook contains macros that you want to make available in the template.
- Click Save.
The template is automatically placed in the Templates folder to ensure that it will be available when you want to use it to create a new workbook.
Tip You can copy any Excel workbook into the Templates folder, then you can use the workbook as a template without saving it in the template file format (.xltx or .xltm). In Windows Vista, the Templates folder is usually C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. In Microsoft Windows XP, the Templates folder is usually C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
Top of Page
Use a template to create a new workbook
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click New.
- Under Templates, do one of the following:
- To base the workbook on a recently used template, click Blank and recent, and then under Recently Used Templates, double-click the template that you want to use.
- To base the workbook on an installed template, click Installed Templates, and then under Installed Templates, double-click the template that you want to use.
- To base the workbook on a template that you created, click My templates, and then on the My Templates tab, double-click the template that you want to use.
- To base the workbook on another workbook, click New from Existing, and then double-click the workbook that you want to use.
Top of Page