Returns the inverse of the normal cumulative distribution for the specified mean and standard deviation.
Important This function has been replaced with one or more new functions that may provide improved accuracy and whose names better reflect their usage. Although this function is still available for backward compatibility, you should consider using the new functions from now on, because this function may not be available in future versions of Excel.
For more information about the new function, see NORM.INV function.
The NORMINV function syntax has the following arguments (argument: A value that provides information to an action, an event, a method, a property, a function, or a procedure.):
- Probability Required. A probability corresponding to the normal distribution.
- Mean Required. The arithmetic mean of the distribution.
- Standard_dev Required. The standard deviation of the distribution.
- If any argument is nonnumeric, NORMINV returns the #VALUE! error value.
- If probability <= 0 or if probability >= 1, NORMINV returns the #NUM! error value.
- If standard_dev ≤ 0, NORMINV returns the #NUM! error value.
- If mean = 0 and standard_dev = 1, NORMINV uses the standard normal distribution (see NORMSINV).
Given a value for probability, NORMINV seeks that value x such that NORMDIST(x, mean, standard_dev, TRUE) = probability. Thus, precision of NORMINV depends on precision of NORMDIST. NORMINV uses an iterative search technique. If the search has not converged after 100 iterations, the function returns the #N/A error value.
The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.
How do I copy an example?
- Select the example in this article. If you are copying the example in Excel Online, copy and paste one cell at a time.
Important: Do not select the row or column headers.
Selecting an example from Help
- Press CTRL+C.
- Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
- In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V. If you are working in Excel Online, repeat copying and pasting for each cell in the example.
Important: For the example to work properly, you must paste it into cell A1 of the worksheet.
- To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Formulas tab, in the Formula Auditing group, click the Show Formulas button.
After you copy the example to a blank worksheet, you can adapt it to suit your needs.
||Probability corresponding to the normal distribution
||Arithmetic mean of the distribution
||Standard deviation of the distribution
||Inverse of the normal cumulative distribution for the terms above (42)