Returns the normal distribution for the specified mean and standard deviation. This function has a very wide range of applications in statistics, including hypothesis testing.
Important This function has been replaced with one or more new functions that may provide improved accuracy and whose names better reflect their usage. Although this function is still available for backward compatibility, you should consider using the new functions from now on, because this function may not be available in future versions of Excel.
For more information about the new function, see NORM.DIST function.
The NORMDIST function syntax has the following arguments (argument: A value that provides information to an action, an event, a method, a property, a function, or a procedure.):
- X Required. The value for which you want the distribution.
- Mean Required. The arithmetic mean of the distribution.
- Standard_dev Required. The standard deviation of the distribution.
- Cumulative Required. A logical value that determines the form of the function. If cumulative is TRUE, NORMDIST returns the cumulative distribution function; if FALSE, it returns the probability mass function.
- If mean or standard_dev is nonnumeric, NORMDIST returns the #VALUE! error value.
- If standard_dev ≤ 0, NORMDIST returns the #NUM! error value.
- If mean = 0, standard_dev = 1, and cumulative = TRUE, NORMDIST returns the standard normal distribution, NORMSDIST.
- The equation for the normal density function (cumulative = FALSE) is:
- When cumulative = TRUE, the formula is the integral from negative infinity to x of the given formula.
The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.
How do I copy an example?
- Select the example in this article. If you are copying the example in Excel Web App, copy and paste one cell at a time.Important Do not select the row or column headers.
Selecting an example from Help
- Press CTRL+C.
- Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
- In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V. If you are working in Excel Web App, repeat copying and pasting for each cell in the example.
Important For the example to work properly, you must paste it into cell A1 of the worksheet.
- To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Formulas tab, in the Formula Auditing group, click the Show Formulas button.
After you copy the example to a blank worksheet, you can adapt it to suit your needs.
||Value for which you want the distribution
||Arithmetic mean of the distribution
||Standard deviation of the distribution
||Cumulative distribution function for the terms above (0.908789)
||Probability mass function for the terms above (0.10934005)
Note The value of the result depends on the number of decimal places that are used in the number format of the cell that contains the formula.