Returns the nominal annual interest rate, given the effective rate and the number of compounding periods per year.
If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.
- On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
- In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then click OK.
- If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.
Effect_rate is the effective interest rate.
Npery is the number of compounding periods per year.
- Npery is truncated to an integer.
- If either argument is nonnumeric, NOMINAL returns the #VALUE! error value.
- If effect_rate ≤ 0 or if npery < 1, NOMINAL returns the #NUM! error value.
- NOMINAL is related to EFFECT as shown in the following equation:
The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.
How to copy an example
- Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
- Select the example in the Help topic.
Note Do not select the row or column headers.
Selecting an example from Help
- Press CTRL+C.
- In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V.
- To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Formulas tab, in the Formula Auditing group, click the Show Formulas button.
|Effective interest rate
||Number of compounding periods per year
||Nominal interest rate with the terms above (0.0525 or 5.25 percent)