If you previously used Microsoft Works and you recently purchased Microsoft Office 2010 or you have a new computer that came with Microsoft Office Starter 2010, you may be wondering how you can use your Works documents and spreadsheets in Office. First, copy the files to your new computer, and then open them in Office.
Note Microsoft Excel 2010 and Microsoft Excel Starter 2010 cannot open spreadsheets in the Works 4.x/2000 (*.wks) format. Before copying these Works spreadsheets to your new computer, save them in an Excel format (*.xls or *.xlsx). If your spreadsheet files are from Works 6.0 or later, you don’t need to save them as Excel files. Excel 2010 and Excel Starter 2010 can open files in the Works 6.0-9.0 (*.xlr) format.
What do you want to do?
Copy Works files to the new computer
- Copy the Works files to a device you can move to the new computer.
The simplest method is to use a USB flash device. Plug the device into your computer's USB port, and then copy the Works files onto it.
- Insert the device into your new computer, and copy the files into a folder, such as Documents.
Top of Page
Open Works files in Office 2010
Which version of Works were you using?
Works 6.0 or later
If your Works files were saved in Works 6.0 or later, you can open them directly in Office 2010 or Office Starter 2010.
- In Word, Excel, Word Starter, or Excel Starter, click the File tab, and then click Open.
- Go to the folder where the Works files are stored.
- In the list of file types (next to the File name box), click All Files (*.*).
- Click the Works file that you want to open.
- When you save the file, save it in the Office 2010 format (Excel Workbook (.xlsx) or Word Document (.docx).
Earlier than Works 6.0
If your Works files were saved in a version of Works earlier than Works 6.0, do the following:
Spreadsheets Save spreadsheets in an Excel file format (*.xls or *xlsx). In Works, click File, then Save As, and then in the Save File As Type list, click Excel 4.0/5.0 (XLS).
Documents Download a file converter from the Microsoft Works downloads page.
The available converters are:
- Word 2000 Batch Works file converter The Word 2000 Batch Works file converter, included in Works Suite 2000, helps you convert all of your Works document files into Word 2000 format.
- The Works 2000 to Word converter The Works 2000 to Word Converter enables users of Word 2000, Word 97, or Works 4.x to open Works 2000 word-processing files. This converter has been tested with Works 4.0, Works 4.5, Works 2000, Word 97, and Word 2000 running on Windows 98 and Windows Me.
Note Since the supported operating system for the Works 2000 to Word converter is Windows 98 or Windows Me, download the converter to your old computer and convert your Works files there, before copying them to your new computer.
After you have converted your Works files to an Office file format, you can open them in Office using the procedure above.
Top of Page
Learn more about Office 2010
If you are new to Office 2010, see Getting Started with Office 2010.
Top of Page