Microsoft Power Query for Excel enhances self-service business intelligence (BI) for Excel with an intuitive and consistent experience for discovering, combining, and refining data across a wide variety of sources including relational, structured and semi-structured, OData, Web, Hadoop, Azure Marketplace, and more. Power Query also provides you with the ability to search for public data from sources such as Wikipedia.
With Power Query 2.10, you can share and manage queries as well as search data within your organization. Users in the enterprise can find and use these shared queries (if it is shared with them) to use the underlying data in the queries for their data analysis and reporting. For more information about how to share queries, see Share Queries.
With Power Query, you can
- Find and connect data across a wide variety of sources.
- Merge and shape data sources to match your data analysis requirements or prepare it for further analysis and modeling by tools such as Power Pivot and Power View.
- Create custom views over data.
- Use the JSON parser to create data visualizations over Big Data and Azure HDInsight.
- Perform data cleansing operations.
- Import data from multiple log files.
- Perform Online Search for data from a large collection of public data sources including Wikipedia tables, a subset of Windows Azure Marketplace, and a subset of Data.gov.
- Create a query from your Facebook likes that render an Excel chart.
- Pull data into Power Pivot from new data sources, such as XML, Facebook, and File Folders as refreshable connections.
- With Power Query 2.10, you can share and manage queries as well as search data within your organization.
Power Query Data Sources
- Web page
- Excel or CSV file
- XML file
- Text file
- SQL Server database
- Windows Azure SQL Database
- Access database
- Oracle database
- IBM DB2 database
- MySQL database
- PostgreSQL Database
- Sybase Database
- Teradata Database
- SharePoint List
- OData feed
- Windows Azure Marketplace
- Hadoop File (HDFS)
- Windows Azure HDInsight
- Windows Azure Table Storage
- Active Directory
- Microsoft Exchange
Import data from external data sources
Search public data