Returns a complex number in x + yi or x + yj text format raised to a power.
Inumber is a complex number you want to raise to a power.
Number is the power to which you want to raise the complex number.
- Use COMPLEX to convert real and imaginary coefficients into a complex number.
- If number is nonnumeric, IMPOWER returns the #VALUE! error value.
- Number can be an integer, fractional, or negative.
- A complex number raised to a power is calculated as follows:
The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.
How to copy an example
- Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
- Select the example in the Help topic.
Note Do not select the row or column headers.
Selecting an example from Help
- Press CTRL+C.
- In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V.
- To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Formulas tab, in the Formula Auditing group, click the Show Formulas button.
||2+3i raised to the power of 3 (-46 + 9i)