- Make sure that smart tags (action tags: Data recognized and labeled as a particular type. For example, a person's name or the name of a recent Microsoft Outlook e-mail message recipient is a type of data that can be recognized and labeled with an action tag.) are turned on.
How to turn on smart tags
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Excel Options.
- Click Proofing, and then click AutoCorrect Options.
The AutoCorrect dialog box appears.
- Click the Smart Tags tab, and then select the Label data with smart tags check box.
Issue: I don’t see any smart tags in the Recognizers list
If you don’t see a list of smart tags in the Recognizers list (on the Smart Tags tab in the AutoCorrect dialog box), the Smart Tags add-in must be installed. To install the add-in, do the following:
- On your computer's system disk, locate the following folder:
\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Smart Tag
- Run the program SmartTagInstall.exe.
- Click OK twice.
- Type a recognized U.S. financial symbol (for example, MSFT) in a cell. Be sure to type the symbol in uppercase letters.
- Click outside the cell.
- Move your mouse pointer over the purple triangle in the lower-right corner of the cell, and then click the arrow next to the Smart Tag Actions button to see a list of options.
- Click Insert refreshable stock price.
- In the Insert Stock Price dialog box, choose whether to insert the stock price on a new worksheet or in a specific area of your current worksheet.
Note The data that is returned might fill a large portion of your worksheet.