In a PivotTable report or PivotChart report, you can expand or collapse to any level of data detail, and even for all levels of detail in one operation. You can also expand or collapse to a level of detail beyond the next level. For example, starting at a country/region level, you can expand to a city level which expands both the state/province and city level. This can be a time-saving operation when you work with many levels of detail. In addition, you can expand or collapse all members for each field in an OLAP data source.
You can also see the details that are used to aggregate the value in a value field.
What do you want to do?
Show or hide the expand and collapse buttons in a PivotTable report
Although the expand and collapse buttons are turned on by default, you may have turned off the expand and collapse buttons because you printed a report. You must turn them on to be able to use these buttons to expand or collapse levels of detail in the report.
- To show or hide the expand and collapse buttons, on the Options tab in the Show/Hide group, click +/- Buttons.
Top of Page
Expand or collapse levels of detail
- Right-click the category label or the data series (For example, the slice in a pie chart or ring in a doughnut chart) for which you want to show or hide level details.
- On the item in the column label of a PivotTable report or series in a PivotChart report, do one of the following:
- Click the expand or collapse button.
Tip You can also double-click the item.
- Right-click the item, select Expand/Collapse, and then do one of the following:
- To see the details for the current item, click Expand.
- To hide the details for the current item, click Collapse.
- To see the details for all items in field, click Expand Entire Field.
- To hide the details for the current item, click Collapse Entire Field.
- To see a level of detail beyond the next level, click Expand To "<Field name>".
- To hide to a level of detail beyond the next level, click Collapse To "<Field name>".
Top of Page
Display or hide details for a value field in a PivotTable report
- Right-click a cell in the values area, and then select Show Details.
Tip You can also double-click the field.
If prompted, double-click the field that has the detail that you want to show.
- The detail data that the value field is based on is placed on a new worksheet.
- To hide the detail data, delete the new worksheet.
- To enable or disable access to this detail in a non-OLAP data source, set or clear the Enable show details check box in the PivotTable Options dialog box. For more information, see PivotTable options.
- This setting is not available for an OLAP data source.
Top of Page