This article describes the formula syntax and usage of the CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY function (function: A prewritten formula that takes a value or values, performs an operation, and returns a value or values. Use functions to simplify and shorten formulas on a worksheet, especially those that perform lengthy or complex calculations.) in Microsoft Excel.
Returns the value of a member property from the cube. Use to validate that a member name exists within the cube and to return the specified property for this member.
CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY(connection, member_expression, property)
The CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY function syntax has the following arguments (argument: A value that provides information to an action, an event, a method, a property, a function, or a procedure.):
- Connection Required. A text string of the name of the connection to the cube.
- Member_expression Required. A text string of a multidimensional expression (MDX) of a member within the cube.
- Property Required. A text string of the name of the property returned or a reference to a cell that contains the name of the property.
- When the CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY function evaluates, it temporarily displays a "#GETTING_DATA…" message in the cell before all of the data is retrieved.
- If the connection name is not a valid workbook connection stored in the workbook, CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY returns a #NAME? error value. If the Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) server is not running, not available, or returns an error message, CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY returns a #NAME? error value.
- If the member_expression syntax is incorrect or if the member specified by member_expression doesn't exist in the cube, CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY returns a #N/A error value.
- CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY may return a #N/A error value if you reference a session-based object, such as a calculated member or named set, in a PivotTable when sharing a connection, and that PivotTable is deleted or you convert the PivotTable to formulas. (On the Options tab, in the Tools group, click OLAP Tools, and then click Convert to Formulas.)
=CUBEMEMBERPROPERTY("Sales","[Store].[MyFavoriteStore]","[Store].[Store Name].[Store Sqft]")