You need to have a PivotTable report or a worksheet with an external data range (external data range: A range of data that is brought into a worksheet but that originates outside of Excel, such as in a database or text file. In Excel, you can format the data or use it in calculations as you would any other data.) to proceed.
- Format the workbook the way you want it.
- On the File menu, click Save .
- In the File name box, type the name for the report.
- In the Save as type list, click Template.
- In the Save in list, locate and click the folder you want to store the template in.
- Click Save.
- Do one of the following:
- To delete the external data range from the worksheet and automatically update the data when the report template is opened, click Yes.
- To display the current data in the external data range whenever someone opens a copy of the report template, click No.
You can change a report template at any time by opening the report template in Excel and making the changes you want.