Access databases are great for storing information, but sometimes you want to use or analyze its data in Excel. You can use the Data Connection Wizard to create a dynamic connection between an Access database and your Excel workbook. You get to the Data Connection Wizard through the Data tab.
Important Connections to external data might be disabled on your computer. To connect to data when you open a workbook, enable data connections by using the Trust Center bar, or save the workbook in a trusted location.
- On the Data tab, in the Get External Data group, click From Access.
- In the Select Data Source dialog box, browse to the Access database.
- In the Select Table dialog box, select the tables or queries you want to use, and click OK.
- You can click Finish, or click Next to change details for the connection.
- In the Import Data dialog box, choose where to put the data in your workbook and whether to view the data as a table, PivotTable report, or PivotChart.
- Click the Properties button to set advanced properties for the connection, such as options for refreshing the connected data.
- Optionally, you can add the data to the Data Model so that you can combine your data with other tables or data from other sources, create relationships between tables, and do much more than you can with a basic PivotTable report.
- Click OK to finish.
Keep the data in your workbook up to date
Now that you're connected to your Access data, you'll always want the latest data in your workbook. Go to Data > Refresh All to get the latest data. For more information on refreshing, go to refresh an Access data connection.
Connect to other types of data sources
Need to connect to other sources of data, such as OLE DB, Microsoft Azure Marketplace data feeds, Access, another Excel workbook, a text file, or one of many other types? See the following articles for more information.
Connect OLE DB data to your workbook
Connect a SQL Server database to your workbook
Connect a Microsoft Azure DataMarket feed to your workbook
Connect data in another workbook to your workbook
Connect external data to your workbook