A default field set is a predefined list of fields that are automatically added to a Power View report view when you click the parent table in the report field list. You can create a default field set to eliminate redundant steps for reports that make heavy use of specific fields. For example, if you know that most reports about customer contacts always include the contact name, a primary phone number, an email address, and a company name, you can pre-select those columns so that they are always added to the report view when the author clicks the Customer Contact table.
Note A default field set applies only to a data model as used in Power View. Default field sets are not supported in Excel pivot reports.
- Start with the workbook that provides data to Power View, and then open Power Pivot to set properties on the tables that provide data to the report. See Configure Table Behavior Properties for Power View Reports for details.
- Click the table tab at the bottom of the window to select the table for which you are configuring a default field list.
- Click Advanced > Default Field Set.
- In the Default Field Set dialog, select one or more fields. You can choose any field in the table, including measures. Hold down the Shift key to select a range, or the Ctrl key to select individual fields.
- Click Add to add them to the default field set.
- Use the Up and Down buttons to specify an order to the field list. Fields will be added to the report in the order defined for the field set.
- Repeat these steps for other tables in your workbook.
- In Excel, click Insert > Power View to test your work. When you click on a table, its default field list should appear with the table on the canvas.
After you create a default field set, you can further influence the report design experience by specifying default labels, default images, default group behavior, or whether rows that contain the same value are grouped together in one row or listed individually. For more information, see Configure Table Behavior Properties for Power View Reports.
Top of Page
Configure Table Behavior Properties for Power View Reports
Power Pivot reporting properties for Power View
Power View and Power Pivot videos
Power View: Explore, visualize, and present your data
Top of Page