Converts real and imaginary coefficients into a complex number of the form x + yi or x + yj.
If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.
- On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
- In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then click OK.
- If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.
Real_num is the real coefficient of the complex number.
I_num is the imaginary coefficient of the complex number.
Suffix is the suffix for the imaginary component of the complex number. If omitted, suffix is assumed to be "i".
Note All complex number functions accept "i" and "j" for suffix, but neither "I" nor "J". Using uppercase results in the #VALUE! error value. All functions that accept two or more complex numbers require that all suffixes match.
- If real_num is nonnumeric, COMPLEX returns the #VALUE! error value.
- If i_num is nonnumeric, COMPLEX returns the #VALUE! error value.
- If suffix is neither "i" nor "j", COMPLEX returns the #VALUE! error value.
The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.
How to copy an example
- Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
- Select the example in the Help topic.
Note Do not select the row or column headers.
Selecting an example from Help
- Press CTRL+C.
- In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V.
- To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Formulas tab, in the Formula Auditing group, click the Show Formulas button.
||Complex number with 3 and 4 as the real and imaginary coefficients (3 + 4i)
||Complex number with 3 and 4 as the real and imaginary coefficients, and j as the suffix (3 + 4j)
||Complex number with 0 and 1 as the real and imaginary coefficients (i)
||Complex number with 1 and 0 as the real and imaginary coefficients (1)