- Open the workbooks you want to compare side by side.
- On the Window menu, click Compare Side by Side with.
- On the Compare Side by Side toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), do any of the following:
Click Close Side by Side to stop comparing workbooks.
- If you want to scroll through the workbooks at the same time, click Synchronous Scrolling .
- If you want to reset the workbook windows to the positions they were in when you first started comparing workbooks, click Reset Window Position .
Note If you open two workbooks, the command on the Window menu will include the filename of one of those workbooks. For example, you open "workbook1.xls" and "workbook2.xls". While viewing "workbook1.xls", the Window menu shows the command as Compare Side by Side with workbook2.xls.
If you've closed the Compare Side by Side toolbar but you want to show it again, click Customize on the Tools menu, click the Toolbars tab, and then select Compare Side by Side in the Toolbars list.