Important notice for users of Office 2003 To continue receiving security updates for Office, make sure you're running Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Office 2003 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Office 2003 after support ends, to receive all important security updates for Office, you need to upgrade to a later version such as Office 365 or Office 2013. For more information, see Support is ending for Office 2003.
On the worksheet
- Click the cell that contains the data series (data series: Related data points that are plotted in a chart. Each data series in a chart has a unique color or pattern and is represented in the chart legend. You can plot one or more data series in a chart. Pie charts have only one data series.) name you want to change.
- Type the new name, and then press ENTER.
On the chart
- Click the chart, and then click Source Data on the Chart menu.
- On the Series tab, click the data series name you want to change.
- In the Name box, specify the worksheet cell you want to use as the legend (legend: A box that identifies the patterns or colors that are assigned to the data series or categories in a chart.) text or data series name.
You can also type the name you want to use. If you type a name in the Name box, the legend text or data series name is no longer linked to a worksheet cell.