In a chart you create, axis labels are shown below the horizontal (category) axis, next to the vertical (value) axis, and next to the depth axis (in a 3-D chart). Your chart uses text in the source data for these axis labels, but you can change that.
To change the text of category labels on the worksheet:
- Click the cell that contains the label text you want to change.
- Type the text you want, and then press Enter.
That automatically updates the chart.
To keep the text on the worksheet the way it is, you can enter new label text that isn’t linked to worksheet data:
- Right-click the category labels you want to change.
- Click Select Data.
- In the Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels box, click Edit.
- In the Axis label range box, enter the labels you want to use, separated by commas.
For example, type Division A, Division B, Division C.
Change the format of text and numbers in labels
To change the format of text in category axis labels, do the following:
- Right-click the category axis labels you want to format.
- Click Font.
- On the Font tab, choose the formatting options you want.
- On the Character Spacing tab, choose the spacing options you want.
To change the format of numbers on the value axis, do the following:
- Right-click the value axis labels you want to format.
- Click Format Axis.
- In the Format Axis pane, click Number.
- Choose the number format options you want.
If the number format you choose uses decimal places, you can specify them in the Decimal places box.
- To keep numbers linked to the worksheet cells, select the Linked to source check box.
Note Before you format numbers as percentages, make sure that the numbers shown on the chart have been calculated as percentages in the worksheet, or are shown in decimal format like 0.1. To calculate percentages on the worksheet, use the equation amount / total = percentage. For example, if you enter =10/100, and then format the result 0.1 as a percentage, the number will be correctly displayed as 10%.
Tip Axis labels are different from axis titles you can add to describe what is shown on the axes. Axis titles are not automatically shown in a chart. To add them, see Add axis titles to a chart.
Top of Page