The Ribbon user interface (UI) in the 2007 release of Microsoft® Office suites offers users a flexible way to work with Office applications. Ribbon Extensibility (RibbonX) uses text-based, declarative XML markup that simplifies creating and customizing the Ribbon UI. This sample demonstrates how to add custom components to the Ribbon UI for a single document as opposed to application-level customizations. In the following steps, we add a custom tab, a custom group, and button to the existing Ribbon UI in Microsoft Office Word 2007. We also implement a callback procedure for the button that inserts a company name into the document.
- Create the customization file in any text editor and save the file with the name customUI.xml.
- Add the following XML markup to the file and then close and save the file:
<tab id="CustomTab" label="My Tab">
<group id="SampleGroup" label="Sample Group">
<button id="Button" label="Insert Company Name" size="large" onAction="ThisDocument.InsertCompanyName" />
- Create a folder on your desktop named customUI and copy the XML customization file to the folder.
- Validate the XML markup with a custom schema.
|This step is optional.
- Create a document in Word 2007 and save it with the name RibbonSample.docm.
- Open the Microsoft Visual Basic® Editor and add the following procedure to the ThisDocument code module and then close and save the document:
Sub InsertCompanyName(ByVal control As IRibbonControl)
' Inserts the specified text at the beginning of a range or selection.
Dim MyText As String
Dim MyRange As Object
Set MyRange = ActiveDocument.Range
MyText = "Microsoft Corporation"
' Range Example: Inserts text at the beginning
' of the active document
' Selection Example:
- Add a .zip extension to the document file name and double-click to open the file.
- Add the customization file to the container by dragging the customUI folder from the desktop to the Zip file.
- Extract the .rels file to your desktop. A _rels folder containing the .rels file is copied to your desktop.
- Open the .rels file and add the following line between the last Relationship tag and the Relationships tag. This creates a relationship between the document file and the customization file:
<Relationship Id="someID" Type="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/relationships/ui/extensibility" Target="customUI/customUI.xml" />
- Close and save the file.
- Add the _rels folder back to the container file by dragging it from the desktop, overwriting the existing file.
- Rename the document file to its original name by removing the .zip extension.
- Open the document and notice that the Ribbon UI now displays the My Tab tab.
- Click the tab and notice the Sample Group group with a button control.
- Click the button and the company name is inserted into the document.
See AlsoOverview of the Ribbon User Interfaceofv