Use the Lync - Options dialog box to set up or change settings for any phone you use with Microsoft Lync 2010 communications software.
What do you want to do?
Open Phones options
To open Phones options, open Lync, click the Options button , and then click Phones.
Use the options under My phone numbers to enter and publish or unpublish your phone numbers. Your phone numbers are part of your presence information and are used by other Lync 2010 users to contact you. When you publish phone numbers, you can and should control access to those phone numbers by setting privacy relationships (formerly known as access levels) for your contacts. For example, you can make your mobile or home phone number available to your closest co-workers, but not available to everyone in the organization. For more information, see Control access to your presence information.
Top of Page
Add or change phone numbers
Phone numbers defined in your corporate directory system are visible to all contacts in your organization who are assigned to Colleagues, Workgroup, or Friends and Family privacy relationships. They are not visible to users who have Blocked Contacts or External Contacts relationships.
- Your company sets your work phone number, so you cannot change it from what is displayed or unpublish it. For other phone numbers, view Phones options, and then do any of the following:
- To add or modify a work phone, click Work Phone. Note that if a work phone is supplied through the corporate directory service, you cannot modify it, and the Work Phone button is disabled. This number is available to everyone except users with Blocked Contacts or External Contacts privacy relationships.
- To add or modify a mobile phone number, click Mobile Phone. This number is visible only to contacts to whom you have granted Workgroup or Friends and Family privacy relationships.
- To add or modify a home phone number, click Home Phone. This number is visible only to contacts to whom you have granted the Friends and Family privacy relationship.
- To add or modify another phone number, click Other Phone. This might be a number for a temporary office or an alternate mobile phone number. It is visible only to contacts to whom you have granted the Friends and Family privacy relationship.
- Type the number in the Phone number box, and then click OK.
Use the international phone number format. Enter the country code, followed by the local phone number. For example, for a United States number: 12125550111. Phone numbers should contain only the digits 0123456789. Lync removes parentheses and additional characters. Do not include the international dialing prefix ̶ for example, (011) in the United States and (00) in the European Union.
- If you want your contacts to see this number, make sure the Include in my contact card check box is selected.
Work phone numbers defined in the corporate directory service cannot be edited or unpublished. Clearing the Publish check box for numbers provided from the directory does not unpublish the number.
Once you publish your phone numbers, it is important to set privacy relationships for your contacts to control who has access to those numbers. For example, if you publish your mobile phone number you must grant a Friends and Family or Workgroup relationship to a contact who you want to have access to your number. For more information, see Control access to your presence information.
Top of Page
Integrate your phone with Lync 2010
If your company has enabled it, you can integrate Lync with your company’s non- unified communications (UC) phone system, and then select your desk phone or your computer to place calls from. This lets you use Lync to control your desk phone. For example, you can make calls on your desk phone by clicking the Call button in your Contacts list, or you can accept a call by clicking the incoming call alert on your computer screen.
To integrate your phone with Lync, view Phones options, and then select the Enable integration with your phone system check box.
We recommend that you use Lync with a phone that is certified for UC for reasons that include that you cannot make a video call between two different phone systems. For information about selecting a phone, see Phones and Devices Qualified for Microsoft Lync.
Top of Page
Use a Text Telephone (TTY)
If you or a contact must use Teletype (TTY) because of a hearing impairment, a TTY device must be connected for the feature to work.
To connect a TTY device, view Phones options, and then select the Turn on TTY mode check box.
Specify a conference call phone
If you have specified multiple phones (such as Work, Mobile, and Home), you can specify which one you want to use in conference calls or online meetings. By default, the conference call number is set to Lync 2010 which typically is your work phone.
To change it, view Phones options, and then select a phone from the Join meeting audio from list.
You can also select whether to be prompted to select a device each time you join a meeting.
Top of Page