The 2007 R2 version of Microsoft® Office Communicator Mobile is an enterprise application for mobile devices that helps you quickly find and communicate with your colleagues. The application is designed to make communication easier and more accessible and includes real-time presence information, single number reach support and rich instant messaging (IM) capability all with a familiar look and feel similar to the desktop version of Microsoft Office Communicator.
In this article
The 2007 R2 version of Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile offers enhancements and new features that provide more flexibility and control:
- Single Number Reach support – Allows you to use a single telephone number on your business card. With Single Number Reach, your desk phone and mobile phone will ring when an incoming call arrives. Outbound calling also gives the same caller identity regardless of whether you use a desk phone or a mobile phone. In addition, you can set call forwarding directly from the mobile device. Single number Reach capability will be supported on Windows Mobile® 6.X devices.
- Join Conference with a single click – With Join Conference, you can join an audio unified communications conference with a click of a button directly from your mobile calendar without having to dial any numbers or remember passcodes. This capability is supported on Windows Mobile® 6.X devices.
- Battery life improvement – By optimizing performance, battery life is now improved by 350 percent, giving you plenty of time to answer your calls and collaborate with your team without having to worry about your battery life.
- Enhanced presence information – The “Mobile” presence indicator for users running Communicator Mobile has been added to the 2007 R2 version of Office Communicator Mobile. For users running multiple Communicator applications (Office Communicator, Office Communicator Mobile, Office Communicator Phone Edition), Office Communications Server 2007 R2 will determine the best option to reach you by showing the most active application you are running for your presence information. For example, if you have used Office Communicator Mobile more recently than Office Communicator, your presence information will indicate that you are available on your mobile phone.
- Usability updates – You now have access to recent contacts, expanding distribution lists on your Windows Mobile device, and easy navigation between multiple IM conversations. In addition, when installing Communicator Mobile on your device for the first time, you don’t need to do any special configurations, but simply use your company username and password to sign in.
- Communicator Mobile for Java Enabled Devices – Communicator mobile is now available for Nokia S60 and S40 devices as well as Motorola RAZR devices (see the complete mobile device list below). The application provides presence information, IM capability and the ability to search your company directory.
Top of Page
Advanced mobile communications
The 2007 R2 version of Office Communicator Mobile extends your work identity, as well as IM presence information, to mobile devices, giving information workers that are out of the office the real-time communications capabilities they're used to.
- With Single Number Reach, mobile devices become an extension of your company’s telephony infrastructure. Users can print a single telephone number on their business cards and use their mobile devices to receive and place calls using the same work identity used to access Office Communicator 2007 R2.
- With Join Conference, you no longer need to write down or remember long conference passcodes and numbers. You simply open the meeting invite on your mobile calendar and click Join Conference. Communicator Mobile will do the work for you and dial you in as authenticated user.
- Global address list (GAL) support and contact lists with distribution groups help users easily search for people within their organization, see their presence information, and communicate with them. In order to keep presence information up to date, the presence indicator now shows “Mobile” as an option for your availability, enabling people to easily keep track of your status.
- Simultaneously sign in to more than one application at the same time and have multiple options for communication. In order to keep presence information up to date, the presence indicator now shows “Mobile” as an option for your availability, enabling people to easily keep track of your status.
- Multi-party IM conversations let people initiate and participate in IM discussions with more than one person at the same time.
- Extensive communication options, whether you choose phone (using either your mobile phone or work identity), IM, or e-mail, allow you to select the best method to contact someone based on their presence information.
Increased mobile productivity
The 2007 R2 version of Office Communicator Mobile has a similar look and feel to the desktop version of Office Communicator 2007, giving users a familiar single-client experience.
- Single Number Reach, together with real-time presence status and IM capabilities, improves users’ responsiveness and overall productivity. You can now set Call forwarding directly from your Windows Mobile device, giving you more flexibility to set up boundaries between personal and work life while on the go.
- Contact lists are maintained and synchronized across different Office Communicator applications, ensuring that you have the latest contact information no matter where you are.
- Similar features and functions, such as presence icons, custom notes, contact schedule information, and out of office status, provide a consistent experience from your desktop to your mobile device.
Integrated business performance
The 2007 R2 version of Office Communicator Mobile is designed to easily work with your existing Office Communications Server 2007 R2 and Exchange Server 2007 applications in order to minimize cost, management, and additional communications investments.
- Office Communications Server 2007 R2 and Exchange Server 2007 work together to support all the features of Office Communicator that you enjoy in the 2007 R2 version of Office Communicator Mobile, without the need for additional servers or applications.
- Office Communications Server 2007 R2 provides built-in security to keep your information safe and secure. With communication channel encryption, transport layer security (TLS) support, and perimeter/internal network protection, your communications experience is safe no matter where you are or what network you use. The 2007 R2 version of Office Communicator Mobile is also Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliant.
- Office Communications Server 2007 R2 now supports standard root certificates for securing information quickly and easily across networks.
Top of Page
Mobile Devices Supported
- All Windows 6.X devices both Smartphone (no touch screen ) and Pocket PC (Touch screen) editions
- Nokia S60 series: Nokia E 51/63/66/71, Nokia N95
- Nokia S40 series: Nokia 3120 Classic, Nokia 3600 slide, Nokia 5220/5310/5610 XpressMusic, Nokia 6212 classic, Nokia 6300i, Nokia 6301, Nokia 6500 classic, Nokia 6500 slide, Nokia 6600 fold, Nokia 6600 slide, Nokia 7210/7310/7510/7610 Super Nova, Nokia 7900 Prism, Nokia 8800 Arte.
- Motorola Razr V3xx
Top of Page
Download Software from Mobile Phone
If you have a mobile device with a data plan and your company already deployed Office Communications Server 2007 R2, you can now download Communicator Mobile software directly from your mobile phone. Simply go to www.getcomo.com from you mobile browser and the site will point you the right software version.
Top of Page
Pricing and licensing
The 2007 R2 version of Office Communicator Mobile is provided at no extra cost to customers who have purchased Office Communications Server 2007 R2 and Client Access Licenses (CAL). Please send your IT or purchasing department to the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Web site to learn more about how to buy this product.
Top of Page