Microsoft Lync Web Scheduler is a web-based program that you can use to create Lync Meetings if you don’t have Microsoft Outlook, or are on an operating system not based on Windows. With Web Scheduler, you can create new meetings, change your existing meetings, and send invitations with your favorite email program.
Your company’s support team gives you a user name and password to log on to Web Scheduler.
In this article
Create a Lync Meeting
Lync Meetings support both online meetings and conference calls. Participants can join using a computer to view the presentation, or call in to the meeting by phone for audio only.
- Go to https://sched.lync.com and log on to Web Scheduler with your user name and password.
- Click Create New Meeting.
- In the Subject box, type a subject for the meeting.
- You can leave the meeting location as Online Meeting, or add a location, such as a conference room, if you have in-person attendees as well.
- Type a short message, or the meeting agenda in the Message box, (optional).
- Select the time zone of the meeting using the drop-down menu.
- Select the Start and End date/time of the meeting.
- By default, everyone including people outside your company can bypass the lobby, which is a virtual waiting area that lets you admit people or deny access. For information about how to modify the options, see Access and Presenters.
- By default, anyone invited from your organization has presenter permissions. For information about how to modify the options, see Access and Presenters.
- Under Participants and Audio, add the participants’ names in the available box, separated by a semicolon (;).
- Click Check names to verify that you have the correct names. For invitees who are external to your company, type the full email address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note Web Scheduler doesn’t check the availability of participants or conference rooms.
- If your account is set up with an Audio Conferencing Provider, the meeting invitation will include the toll-free number, toll number, and participant code. The meeting participants can use computer audio, or call in to the meeting, depending on their preference.
- Click Save.
Send invitations to meeting participants
To send the meeting invitation, select one of the following methods:
Send invitations by using your email program
By using this method, you copy the meeting details from Web Scheduler and paste them in to a meeting invitation that you create with any email program.
Tip You can also access the meeting information by clicking View Meeting Join Info on the Web Scheduler meeting details page.
- When you’ve finished creating the meeting, click Save.
- A window with the meeting information opens.
- Highlight the meeting details, including the meeting URL, audio conferencing number, and conference ID.
- Right-click the text, and then click Copy.
- Open any email program and create a regular meeting request.
- Paste the Lync online meeting details (copied in step 4) into the invitation.
- Add the participants, verify the meeting date/time, type a meeting agenda, and send the invitation.
Send invitations by using iCalendar
iCalendar lets users of different email systems exchange calendar information. Recipients of the iCalendar invitation must have software that is supported to open and respond to the meeting invite.
- In the My Meetings section, select the meeting by its subject, and then click Export as iCalendar.
- Click Open when prompted by your email program.
Note iCalendar includes all the information you added while scheduling your meeting, such as the message, participants, meeting location, date, and time.
- When the calendar entry opens, forward it to the people that you added as participants when scheduling the meeting.
- The invitees can then open the iCalendar file with their preferred email program, such as Outlook, Notes, iCal, and so on.
Access and Presenters
The default Access and Presenters options are optimal for typical team meetings. You can customize your meeting options to better fit your requirements, meeting type, or the participants.
Under the Access and Presenters section on the meeting details page, select who can bypass the lobby and who can join the meeting as a presenter.
Who will bypass the lobby
|Organizer only (locked)
||Only the organizer bypasses the lobby. Everyone else will have to wait in the lobby until admitted.
||You don’t want people to view the content before the meeting, or you are discussing confidential information.
|People I invite from my company
||People who don’t have an account on your network, and people who weren’t invited will have to wait in the lobby until admitted.
||You’re discussing confidential information, and you want to allow only specific people from your company to join.
|People from my company
||People who don’t have an account on your network will have to wait in the lobby until admitted.
||All the participants have an account on your organization’s network, and you are not discussing confidential information.
|Everyone including people outside my company
||No one waits in the lobby.
||You’re inviting outside participants and you’re not discussing confidential information.
Important Even if the meeting lobby is enabled, participants who call into the meeting automatically bypass the meeting lobby.
Who is a presenter
||Who is a presenter
||Only the person who schedules the meetings.
||Presentations where the participants don’t have to interact with the meeting content. You can designate additional presenters during the meeting.
|People from my company
||Everyone you invite who has an account on your network.
||In-house group work sessions, where all participants can share and modify meeting content.
|Everyone including people outside my company (there are no restrictions)
||Everyone you invite.
||Group work sessions with people who don’t have an account on your network.
|People I choose
||You and the participants you choose.
||Presentations with more than one specific presenter.
Note External participants or distribution lists cannot be invited as presenters using the People I choose option. You can give presenter access to individuals when in the meeting room.
Join a meeting
You can use the meeting link in the invitation to sign in to your meeting, or click the Join Meeting tab in Web Scheduler to start the meeting.
- Under My Meetings, click your meeting.
- On the meeting details page, click the Join Meeting tab.
- Lync opens and lets you sign in to the meeting.
View or edit your existing meetings
You can see all the meetings that you’ve organized under the My Meetings tab in Web Scheduler. Keep in mind that Web Scheduler lists only meetings that you’ve organized, not the meetings you were invited to.
- Click a meeting to open the meeting details page, which contains a brief summary of the meeting, a set of actionable tabs, and the meeting information.
- Click Edit.
- Make the required changes, and then click Save.
- Click OK on the success alert, and verify the modified information.
Important When you update a meeting, you need to manually send the updated information to your invitees. Web Scheduler doesn’t update your calendar automatically.
- If you used iCalendar to send the invitations, click Export as iCalendar again to open the invitation, and send an update.
- If you copied the Lync meeting details in a regular meeting invite, open the invitation, update with the new meeting details, and re-send to your participants.
Delete or cancel a meeting
Your meetings expire 14 days after the scheduled end time, but you can delete a meeting if you want to clean up Web Scheduler, or cancel your meeting.
- Under the My Meetings tab, click the meeting you want to delete.
- On the meeting details page, click the Delete Meeting tab.
- Click Yes in the confirmation box.
Important You’ll need to send a cancelation notice to your participants, because Web Scheduler does not update your calendar automatically.
- If you used iCalendar to send the invites, open the invitation and click Cancel. This will send a cancelation note to the recipients.
- If you copied the Lync meeting details in a regular meeting invite, open the invitation, then click Cancel to send a cancelation note to the invitees.
Top of Page