Microsoft® Lync™ 2010 for the iPad is a new app that brings presence, instant messaging (IM), and the voice capabilities of Lync to your mobile device. With Lync 2010 on the iPad, you can choose from multiple ways to communicate with others, including IM, or you can call using either your work or mobile number.
What do you want to do?
Following are the requirements for Microsoft Lync 2010 mobile clients:
- iPad mobile digital devices with Apple iOS 4.0 or later.
Installing the Lync 2010 application on your mobile phone is as easy as installing any other application on your phone.
- From your iPad, go to the App Store, and search for Microsoft Lync 2010 for iPad.
- Tap the Free button in the app and then tap Install and enter your App Store Apple ID and password. As soon as the app is installed, it appears on your home screen.
To remove the Lync application from your phone, do the following:
- Touch and hold your finger on the Lync app icon.
- Release your finger when the icon starts to wiggle on the screen.
- Tap the X icon that appears in the upper-left corner of the Lync icon. A prompt appears on your screen, informing you that deleting “Lync” will also delete all of its data. Tap Delete.
- When the app disappears, press the Home button.
Sign in to Lync
If you have a data plan, or your iPad is connected to a Wi-Fi network, signing in is as easy as launching an application.
- Start the Lync app, and on the sign-in screen, enter your credentials, and then tap Sign In.
Sign out of Lync
- To sign out of Lync, from the My Info tab, and then tap Sign Out.
Use Lync for the first time
The first time you sign in to Lync you are guided through adding your mobile phone number. By adding your mobile phone number, you can use your mobile phone to join Lync conferences.
The My Mobile Number that is specified is used by Microsoft Lync Server 2010 to set up outgoing work calls. When you make a work call, the call is routed to Lync Server 2010, which calls you back at your mobile phone number. After you answer the call, Lync Server places the call to the call recipient.
During your first sign-in, you can set your incoming work calls to simultaneously ring on your mobile number. The Simultaneously Ring option specifies that all your devices that are running Lync, including your computer, desk phone, and mobile device, display an alert when you receive an incoming call to your work number. You can also use the Simultaneously Ring option to specify that Lync rings your home number, or a new number. For on-call forwarding and simultaneous ring options see, Call forwarding and simultaneous ring.
Important If your Call Forwarding option isn’t set to simultaneous ring on your mobile phone, you won’t receive incoming Lync calls on your mobile phone.
- When you first sign in, type in your mobile phone number, and then tap Next and you are ready to using Lync.
Note To make changes to your call options after you first sign in, tap the My Info icon, tap Simultaneously Ring or Forward Calls and then select the option you’d like to change.
Top of Page