Available in Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2008 only.
You can import business information (including customers, vendors, employees, and items) and transaction data (such as invoices or sales orders) from Microsoft Office Excel into Microsoft Office Accounting 2008 by using the Import Data Wizard.
When you install Office Accounting 2008, a set of Office Excel workbooks is saved on your computer. These workbooks correspond to the types of data that you might want to import into Accounting 2008, for example vendor information, customer information, and employee information. The column headings in the worksheets correspond to fields in Accounting 2008 and each worksheet contains some rows of sample data to help you enter data in the correct format for importing.
We recommend that you use these workbooks to import data, because they have been formatted so that the data mapping to Accounting 2008 is performed automatically. But if you already store your company records in Excel, you can import your data from your existing workbooks into Accounting 2008.
Use the Excel workbooks provided with Accounting 2008
- Open the workbook that you want to use. The workbooks are installed by Accounting 2008 in the following folder:
Windows Vista drive:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\Office Accounting 2008\Templates\Excel
Windows XP drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates\Office Accounting 2008\Templates\Excel
Tip You can also access these spreadsheets from the Quick Start page or by clicking Import Excel Data on the File menu. For information about the Quick Start page, see About the Office Accounting Quick Start page
- Save a copy of the workbook in a folder that you can easily access.
- Enter your data into the new file.
- Do not change the column headings. These headings automatically map to corresponding fields in Accounting 2008.
- Do not leave any rows empty. To the Import Data Wizard, an empty row signals the end of the data. Subsequent rows are ignored.
- Delete the rows that contain the sample data.
- Delete any unused columns.
- Save the workbook.
- Use the Import Data Wizard in Accounting 2008 to import the data (on the File menu, click Import Excel Data).
Tip Before you import your data, you can practice by using the wizard to import data into a sample company. The workbooks that are provided with Accounting 2008 include sample data, some of which will cause errors. This gives you the opportunity to practice correcting errors before you start working with your own data.
Use other Excel workbooks
You can use the Import Data Wizard to import data from your own Excel workbooks into Accounting 2008. When you do this, remember the following:
- Always use the first row of the worksheet for column headings. The wizard searches for the first row that contains data and assumes that the data in this row is column headings (field names). Any data that you enter in the first row will not be imported.
- Use column heading names that exactly match fields on forms in Accounting 2008. Data in columns that exactly match Accounting 2008 are automatically mapped.
- Do not use periods or special characters in column headings. For example, Number and No are valid, but No. and # are not.
- If you import transaction data, the record name (account, customer, vendor, employee, or item) must exactly match the name used in Accounting 2008. All mismatches will cause validation errors.
For additional information