If you don't want content reviewers to accidentally modify a file, you can display a prompt recommends, but does not require, that reviewers open a file as read-only. A read-only file can be read or copied. If changes to a read-only file are made, the changes can only be saved by giving the file a new name.
In Microsoft Office Word 2007
- In a Word file, click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
- Click Tools, and then click General Options.
- Select the Read-only recommended check box.
- Click OK.
- Click Save. If prompted, click Yes to update the existing file with the new read-only setting.
In Microsoft Office Word 2003, 2002, or 2000
- In a Word file, on the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the Security tab.
- Select the Read-only recommended check box, and then click OK.
- Click Save.