By Michael Groh, Access MVP
Use the Access 2007 Project management database to manage projects and their associated tasks and employees. You can also search and filter project details, enter common tasks, and send or receive data via e-mail messages.
Problems watching the video? Try our troubleshooting tips.
In the video
In this video, we cover the basic steps of using the Projects database template.
Prepare the database for use
To make sure all the database content is enabled, use the following procedure:
- In the Message Bar, click Options.
- In the Microsoft Office Security Options dialog box, click Enable this content, and then click OK.
For more information about enabling database content, see the article Decide whether to trust a database.
To begin using the Projects database template, the first step is to add employees, so that you have someone to assign projects and tasks to. Use this procedure to manually add employees, or see the next section to add employees from your Outlook 2007 contacts.
- On the Project List form, click Employee List.
- On the Employee List form, fill in the details of each employee.
- To enter more detailed information about an employee, double-click the employee's name in the Employee List form, and enter the information in the Employee Details form.
- Click Close to return to the Project List form.
Add contacts from Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
If you use Office Outlook 2007, you can add employees from that program without having to re-type the information.
- On the Project List form, click Employee List.
- On the Employee List form, click Add From Outlook.
- In the Select Names to Add dialog box, select the names that you want to add to the database.
- Click Add, and then click OK.
Add a new project
- On the Project List form, click New Project.
- On the Project Details form, fill in the details of the project, and then click Close.
Edit an existing project
- On the Project List form, double-click the project that you want to edit.
- On the Project Details form, add or edit the details of the project.
Add a task
- On the Project Details form, click New Task.
- On the Task Details form, fill in the details of the task, and then click Close.
Access displays the new project in the Project Tasks list on the Project Details form.
Edit a task
- On the Project Details form, click the Project Tasks tab.
- Double-click the task that you want to edit.
- On the Task Details form, edit the details of the task, and then click Close.
Add a common task
Common tasks are tasks that are frequently used in many different projects, such as budgeting or training. After you enter a common task, it can be added to any project in the Project database without having to re-enter the task details.
- On the Project Details form, click Common Tasks.
- Select the check box next to each common task that you want to add to the project. Add new common tasks to the end of the list.
- Click Close to return to the Project Details form.
Collect data through e-mail
You can collect data about projects or employees from e-mail users by sending them a data entry form in an e-mail message. When users return the completed form, the data can be processed and stored in your task list.
- On the Project List or Employee List form, click Collect Data.
- Follow the instructions in the Collect data through e-mail messages wizard to collect data from the specified e-mail recipients.
Filter the Project List
On the Project List form, you can filter the list of projects, and save your favorite filters for future use.
- Apply filters by right-clicking the form and selecting the filters you want.
- Click Save Filter.
- On the Filter Details form, enter a filter name and description, and then click Close.
- Use the Filter Favorites box to apply a saved filter, or click (Clear Filter) to remove the filter.
Display project or employee details
The Project Details form and the Employee Details forms let you view and enter more information about a project or employee. To display the Project Details form or the Employee Details form:
- On the Project List form or the Employee List form, double-click the item that you want to see.
On the Project Details form, the Task Details form, and the Employee Details form, you can add pictures and other attachments.
- On any Details form, double-click the Attachments field (on the Employee Details form, double-click the picture icon).
- In the Attachments dialog box, click Add.
- In the Choose File dialog box, browse to the folder that contains the file.
- Select the file you want to add, and then click Open.
- In the Attachments dialog box, click OK.
Note You can attach multiple files for each item, including different file types such as documents or spreadsheets.
The Projects database includes several reports, including Open Projects, Task Details, Employee Address Book, and more. To display a report:
- On the Project List form, select the report that you want to display from the Reports list.
To print a report:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Print.
You can create your own custom reports. For more information, see the article Create a simple report.