While you can print data from a table, query, form or report (report: An Access database object that you can print, which contains information that is formatted and organized according to your specifications. Examples of reports are sales summaries, phone lists, and mailing labels.) in your Microsoft Access database, you can set print options for reports that will produce an eye-catching and more readable printed copy of your data.
Printing data directly from tables or queries works when you want to print just a simple list. Forms are better suited for viewing or printing data for a single record or a related set of records, and not for printing larger sets of data or data summaries. By printing data from a report, you can compare, summarize, and total large sets of data, and then present that information in an attractive layout.
For more information about creating a report see Introduction to reports in Access.
In this article
Select page setup options
After you create your report you can set options for the print layout in the Page Setup dialog box. These options help you fine tune the format with options for margin settings, use of gridlines and columns, or print only the data from the report without the formatting. To set the print page options, complete the following steps:
- In the Navigation Pane, right-click the report and then click Print Preview.
- On the Print Preview tab, in the Page Layout group, click Page Setup and set the margins, orientation and column settings that you want.
Print Options tab settings
||Increase or decrease the default margins as required, and see the changes displayed in the Sample page.
|Print Data Only
||Select this option when you do not want to print the layout features in the report such as grids.
||This option is not available for a report.
To customize the margins on your report, on the Print Preview tab, in the Page Size group, click Margins and select a suitable option and a preview of the report with the changed margin settings is displayed.
Page tab settings
||Select either the Portrait or Landscape orientation. If you want to see how the report appears, instead of setting the orientation here set it from the Page Preview tab. On the Print Preview tab, in the Page Layout group, click Portrait or Landscape.
||Select the paper size and source.
|Printer for Customer Addr...
||If you select Use Specific Printer you can set several other printer and document format options.
Columns tab settings
Note These options are also available on the Print Preview tab, in the Page Layout group, under Columns.
||Select the number of columns and row spacing. If the setting is for a single column, the Column Spacing and Column Layout options won't be available.
|Same as Detail
||Select to print the column in the same size as you set in the report. To adjust the column width and height, clear the selection and type new values.
||Select the width and height of the columns.
||Select the direction in which you want the columns printed. This option is available only when you have more than one column.
Top of Page
Select printer settings
After you complete the page setup settings for your report, you can select specific printer options to control the print layout or the pages you want printed and the number of copies.
- In the Navigation Pane, right-click the report that you want to print, and click Print Preview.
- On the Print Preview tab, in the Print group, click Print.
Keyboard shortcut Press Ctrl+P.
- Select your print options, and then click OK to print your report.
The following table describes the results you can expect from specific printer settings:
||Select the printer where you want to have the report printed. If you haven't set the orientation and paper size, click the Properties button.
- To print only selected pages of the report, select Pages and set the range. For example, to print just page 5 of a report, type 5 in both the From and the To boxes.
- To print just one page of your report, set both the From and To fields to the same page number.
||Select the number of copies and select Collate if you want the copies printed in sets for a multi-page report.
To save paper, or to send a print job to a commercial printer, or send the report via e-mail, you can create a .pdf or xps format of your report: On the Print Preview tab, in the Data group, click PDF or XPS.
Top of Page
Preview before printing
Use the Print Preview option to make check how the printed version of your report will appear.
You can open a report in Print Preview by using one of the following methods:
- To preview a report that is not already open, in the Navigation Pane, right-click the report that you want to preview, and then click Print Preview.
- Click File > Print, and then click Print Preview.
- If the report is open, right-click the document tab for the report, and then click Print Preview.
You can make further formatting changes from Print Preview by using the options in the Preview Print tab.
If you want to see several pages of the report, move to other pages, or view multiple pages at the same time when previewing you report, try any the following options:
- Click the Shutter Bar Open/Close button (<<) in the upper-right corner of the Navigation Pane, and then expand the report view area.
- Position the report by using the horizontal or vertical scroll bars.
- To magnify an area on the report, on the Print Preview tab, in the Zoom group, click the arrow below Zoom and select a magnification percentage. You can also use the Zoom control in the lower right-hand corner of your window.
- To preview multiple pages at a time, in the Zoom group, click Two Pages or click More Pages and then select an option.
Select your print options: In the Print group, click Print and then select your print options.
Close Print Preview: In the Close Preview group, click Close Print Preview.
Top of Page