The Package Solution Wizard provides a simple way to bundle and deploy Microsoft Access database applications. The wizard guides you through the steps necessary to bundle stand-alone Access applications into Setup packages. You can use the Package Solution Wizard to include the Access 2010 Runtime in your packages and to create shortcuts that invoke the appropriate Access file.
The output of the Package Solution Wizard is a Microsoft Windows Installer (.msi) Setup file that guides users through the installation of your Access application.
Any additional options and files specified in the wizard are then programmatically written into the .msi file, such as bitmap files, version data, information for the Programs and features item in Control Panel, Windows Explorer properties information, and End User License Agreement (EULA) information.
You can include the Access Runtime in the installation packages of Access applications so that these applications can be deployed and used on computers where Access is not installed. The license to distribute the Access Runtime is included with your download of the Access Runtime. See Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime for more information about how to download the Access 2010 Runtime.
The system requirements for using the Package Solution Wizard are the same as those for the Microsoft Office 2010. The Package Solution Wizard requires Microsoft Windows Installer 3.0.
Install the Package Solution Wizard
The Package Solution Wizard is not installed by default when you install Access 2010. To install the Package Solution Wizard, do the following:
- Exit Microsoft Access.
- Click Start, then click Control Panel.
- Click Programs and Features.
- Right-click the Microsoft Office 2010 entry, and then click Change.
- In the Microsoft Office 2010 Setup dialog box, click Add or Remove Features, and then Continue.
- Click the plus sign (+) to expand the Microsoft Access folder.
- Click the plus sign (+) to expand the Add-ins folder.
- Click Not Available next to Package Wizard, and then click Run From My Computer . Click Continue to install Package Solution Wizard.