- Open a form, report, or data access page in Design view (Design view: A view that shows the design of these database objects: tables, queries, forms, reports, and macros. In Design view, you can create new database objects and modify the design of existing objects.).
- Do one of the following:
To draw a rectangle, click the Rectangle tool in the toolbox (toolbox: A set of tools that is available in Design view for adding controls to a form or report.), and then click anywhere on the form, report, or data access page to create a default-sized rectangle. You can also drag to create a rectangle that is the size you want.
To draw a line, click the Line tool in the toolbox, and then click anywhere on the form, report, or data access page to create a default-sized line. You can click and drag to create a line that is the size you want.
- To make small adjustments to the length or angle of a line in forms and reports, select the line, hold down the SHIFT key, and press one of the arrow keys.
- To make small adjustments in the placement of a line, hold down the CTRL key and press one of the arrow keys.
- To change the thickness of a rectangle's border or of a line, click the rectangle or line, click the arrow next to the Line/Border Width button on the Form/Report Formatting toolbar or the Page Formatting toolbar, and then click the line thickness you want.
- To change the line style (dots, dashes, double, and so on) of a rectangle's border or of a line, click the rectangle or line, click Properties on the toolbar to open the property sheet, and then click a border style in the BorderStyle property box.
Note If you place additional controls in a rectangle, select the rectangle and then click Send to Back on the Format menu to ensure that the controls and their associated screentips work properly.