Course summary: Make the switch to Access 2013
- Click File to go to the Backstage.
- Double-click any template to create a new database.
- Access App templates display the globe icon.
Files from previous versions
- New file format: ACCDB.
- Files created in Access 2000-2003 run in 2013, but switchboards and database replication are gone.
- You can enter data in Access 97 files, but you save them in as ACCDBs to change them.
The Navigation pane
- Double-click to open.
- Right-click to select a view or action.
- Right-click the bar at the top to categorize objects, start the Search bar, or start the Navigation Options dialog.
- Home: Sort and filter, add a Totals row, find and replace, format text.
- Create: Use application parts, create tables, queries, forms, reports, start VBA.
- External Data: Import and export data from the sources listed.
- Database Tools: Compact and repair, create relationships, show dependencies, run the Database Documenter, manage add-ins.
- Contextual tabs: Appear when needed, provide commands specific to a task.
- Double-click a template to open > file name > server name > Create.
- If you use the Custom template, search for the type(s) of data you want to capture.
- Change tables and forms as needed, then Home > Launch App.
- You enter data in your browser, and unlike desktop databases, you have to save your data.