When you filter by choosing from the list next to an AutoFilter arrow, you hide everything except your single choice. If you want to see more than one selection in a column, you can create custom filters.
You can also use custom AutoFilters to find items not available in the list next to the AutoFilter arrow, such as:
- Values within a range, such as all numbers between two particular numbers.
- Values outside a range, such as all dates earlier or later than a particular pair of dates.
- Values equal to or not equal to another value.
- Specific text that is part of other text.
- And much more, which you'll see in the Quick Reference Card at the end of the course.
To create a custom filter, click an AutoFilter arrow and then click (Custom…) to open the Custom AutoFilter dialog box.
You'll learn how to use the dialog box in the practice session at the end of the lesson, where you'll create four different custom filters.