In Lync, your contacts are the online identities of the people you communicate with a lot. Add people to your Contacts list by clicking Add a Contact in the Lync main window:
If your organization allows it, you can also add external contacts: Lync users in other organizations, and Skype users signed in with a Microsoft ID.
Add a contact in your organization
- In the Lync main window, go to Add a Contact > Add a Contact in my Organization.
- Type the person’s name or email address in the search box.
- Right-click the listing, click Add to Contacts List, and select a group to add the contact to.
- (Optional) To view or change the privacy relationship, right-click the contact’s listing, and then click Change Privacy Relationship.
Add a contact outside your organization
If your organization allows it, you can use Lync to communicate with external contacts:
- External Lync users Admins in both your and the other person’s org must allow external communications.
- Skype users Must be signed in to Skype with a Microsoft account (formerly Windows Live ID).
See Features available with external contacts. Contacts using IM providers such as AOL, Yahoo!, or Google Talk are not supported.
- In the Lync main window, go to Add a contact > Add a Contact Not in my Organization
- Click the contact’s IM provider, Lync or Skype.
- In the IM Address box, enter your new contact.
Important If your Skype contact is using their own email name as a Microsoft account login, the IM address requires special formatting. See What to try if you can't IM Lync or Skype external contacts.
- (Optional) Choose a group and privacy relationship for this contact.
- Click OK.
Keep in mind:
Features available with Lync external contacts
Only features available to both you and the other Lync user are supported.
Features available with Skype external contacts
|Available with Skype users
||Not available with Skype users
- Person-to-person IMs
- Person-to-person audio calls
- Finding and adding Lync contacts in Skype
- Video conversations
- Audio or IM conversations with three or more people
- Desktop and program sharing
See also: What to try if you can't IM Lync or Skype external contacts.
Outlook external contacts
To add an external contact in Lync, the other person must have a valid IM and conferencing client—either Lync or Skype. To add an external user to your Office 365 address book, all that’s required is a valid email address. Learn more: