When you move a formula, the cell references within the formula do not change. When you copy a formula, the cell references may change based on the type of reference used.
- Select the cell that contains the formula.
- Verify that the cell references used in the formula will produce the result you want. Switch to the type of reference you need. To move a formula, use an absolute reference (absolute cell reference: In a formula, the exact address of a cell, regardless of the position of the cell that contains the formula. An absolute cell reference takes the form $A$1.).
- On the Edit menu, click Copy.
- Select the cell you want to copy it to.
- To copy the formula and any formatting, on the Edit menu, click Paste.
- To copy the formula only, on the Edit menu, click Paste Special, and then click Formulas.