You can set availability times directly in the Resource Information dialog box, and bypass the person’s calendar altogether to let your organization know he or she won’t be able to work during a certain time.
- Click View > Resource Views > Resource sheet.
- Right-click the resource name, and then click Information.
- Click the General tab.
- In the Available From field, type the resource's start date on the project.
- In the Available To field, type the resource's finish date.
- In the Units field, type the maximum units (maximum units: The maximum percentage or number of units that a resource is available to be scheduled for any tasks. The maximum units value indicates the highest capacity at which the resource is available for work; the default value is 100 percent.) that this resource is available during this time.
Here are some things you might want to know about the Units column.
- You can enter maximum units as a percentage (for example, 50%, 100%, or 300%), or as a decimal (for example, 0.5, 1, or 3).
- To make a resource part-time, set a percentage less than 100. For example, if the resource will be working half-days during this time, type 50%.
- To set units for a group of resources, make sure the percentage represents all the people in the group. For example, if there are three full-time people in the group, type 300%.
Use work contours for fine-tuning availability
With work contours, you can have Project automatically adjust a person’s work on a task using a pattern. For example, if you want Project to take into consideration ramp-up time on a task, you can apply a “front-loaded” pattern to a person’s work on the task. When this happens, Project will add more work at the beginning of a task assignment than at the end of the assignment.
The best way to see how this works, is to try it out. To contour work on an assignment, use the Task Usage view. Double-click the resource’s name, and then click Work contour.
Note Changing work distribution in this way works only for automatically-scheduled tasks.
Short cut for entering availability dates
|You can enter a date in the Available To field in any view with a table without entering a date in the Available From column.
Links to more information on calendars and scheduling