After signing up, you’re the only person that Project Online knows about. You’ll need to add more people who can also create and work on projects. There are two steps you’ll need to take for each person you want to add.
Create Office 365 user accounts
Each person that you want to be able to use Project Online needs to have an Office 365 user account.
To create a user account in Office 365:
- On the left side of the Office 365 admin center, click Users and Groups.
- At the top of the list of users, click Add (+).
- Follow each of the steps that appear, clicking Next after each step, and Finish at the end. You will add the user’s name, location, and licenses.
|Hold on…what’s this about licenses?
Every user needs to be given a license to use Project Online. Depending on what your organization subscribes to, you might need to select different things on the Assign Licenses page to give someone access to Project Online. If something is listed in two different sections, it only needs to be selected one time on the page to give that user that license.
What about the global administrator? It’s important to note that the only person who has a Project Online license to start with is the person that signed up for it. This may or may not be the person who is the all-up global administrator for Office 365 in your organization. The global administrator will be able to see options that are part of Project Online, but won’t be able to change them unless he or she has been assigned a Project Online license.
Share the Project Online site
After you have created an Office 365 user account for each person you’re adding, the next step is to share the Project Online site with each of those users.
Important The Project Online site has to be shared by the person who signed up for Project Online first, before anyone else can share the site. A best practice is for the person who signed up to share the site with the global administrator first, if that person should have access to Project Online.
To share your Project Online site:
- From your Project Online site, click Share, just below your name in the top-right portion of the page.
- Type the name of the new user in the top box, and add a note to that person in the bottom box (optional).
- Click Show Options.
- Choose whether to send the person an email invitation, and choose what permissions you want the person to have in Project Online. Permissions determine what the person you’re adding will and will not be able to do in Project Online.
- Click Share.
You can watch this process in the following video, and learn more about getting started, navigating the Project Web App homepage, and adding apps.