Use the Lync – Options > Phones window to set up or change settings for any phone you use with Lync.
Add or change a phone number
Add numbers to your contact card to give people a way to reach you when you’re not at your computer, or in case they prefer to use a phone. Your phone numbers show up on your contact card and are visible to your Lync contacts based on the privacy relationship they have with you.
- Under My phone numbers, click the box for the type of number you want to add or change, and type the number. Use only the digits 0123456789, and no parentheses or hyphens. When adding international numbers, type the + sign, then the country code followed by the local number.
- To make this number visible to contacts, select the Include in my contact card check box next to the number.
Your number will be visible as follows:
- Work Phone is visible to all contacts except your External Contacts and Blocked Contacts.
Note Some companies do not allow you to clear the Include in my contact card check box for your work phone.
- Mobile Phone is visible only to your Workgroup and Friends and Family.
- Home Phone is visible only to your Friends and Family.
- Other Phone is visible only to your Friends and Family. Use this option to add or modify additional numbers, such as for a temporary office or an alternate cell phone.
Tip To see which of your contacts have each of these relationships with you, in your Contacts list, select the Relationship tab. Contacts are grouped there by privacy relationship. To change the relationship you have with a contact, right-click the contact listing, and then click Change Privacy Relationship. For more details, see Control access to your presence information in Lync.
Use a TTY device
Text telephone (TTY) mode is used for text communication over a telephone line. A TTY device must be connected to the computer to interpret the modified audio; otherwise you might experience poor audio quality during the call. Using TTY mode in a conference call may also cause audio quality issues.
TTY mode is turned off by default. To turn on the feature:
- Connect a TTY device to your computer.
- Under Phone accessibility, click Turn on TTY mode
- Sign out of Lync, and then sign in again.
Set Lync Meeting options
You can use the same audio with all your Lync Meetings or set up Lync to give you options every time you join. The latter is handy if you need to use a different audio connection, depending on the meeting or location you join from.
- Under Joining conference calls, click the drop-down menu next to Join meeting audio from, and do one of the following:
- To use computer audio and video (via your computer microphone and speakers or a headset) for the meeting, select Lync.
- To have Lync call you, select the phone number you want to be reached at. If you don’t see your number, type it under My phone numbers at the top of the window.
- To call into the meeting, if the meeting request includes a call-in number, select Do not join audio, join the meeting, and then use a phone to call in.
- (Optional) If you join from different locations or devices and want to choose how you connect to meetings each time you join, select the Before I join meetings, ask me which audio device I want to use check box.
Note You can have Lync call you (and set up Lync Meetings that include call-in details) only if dial-in conferencing is configured for your account. For details, contact your workplace technical support.
Top of Page