Office 365 for Education
Great for academic institutions ready to take advantage of the cloud. Office 365 offers free enterprise-grade email, IM, web conferencing, and online document viewing and editing.
All the best advanced tools and services anywhere your people learn and work
Get the power and flexibility your institution requires, from enterprise-grade communication and productivity services for all your users to industry-leading management capabilities for your IT.
Experience Office virtually anywhere
Provide students, faculty, and staff with the Office applications they know, optimized for their devices, so they can work their best wherever they happen to be.
- Get Office fast. With the new streaming Office, you don't have to wait for Office installs or stop working to receive Office updates. Plus, the new Office can be installed side by side with previous versions of Office.
- Roaming settings. Your recent documents, settings, and custom dictionaries follow your Microsoft account, so your work and customizations move with you.
- Office Web Apps. Enhanced Office Web Apps empower you to edit across multiple devices, right from your browser.
Stay connected to your learning community
Simplify the way you work together with powerful communication tools.
- Multi-party HD meetings. Work together anywhere with conferencing that includes advanced sharing, note taking, and annotations.
- Keep people connected. Connect even more easily with a unified contact card that brings together SharePoint, Facebook, and LinkedIn updates and lets you start an IM, call, or video chat with just a click.
- More secure, private with a 99.9% uptime SLA. Extensive privacy features with no scanning of email or documents for advertising purposes. Continuous data back-ups, robust disaster recovery capabilities and globally-redundant data centers.
Run it the way you want
Office 365 provides the flexibility you need to run your business the way that works best for you.
- A new, unified admin experience. Easily manage Office 365 services from any browser, while still having advanced PowerShell commands available for automating management tasks.
- Free up valuable resources. Reduce costs and free up time associated with deployment, maintenance and management of on premises servers providing more time for IT to focus on education-related workloads.
- New apps. With the new cloud app model you can build secure, scalable, and flexible cloud apps that integrate with users' documents. The new corporate catalog app helps you manage apps available in your organization.
All Office 365 for education plans (A plans) include:
|Email and calendars
Use business-class, browser-based Outlook, including a 25 GB mailbox per user, shared calendars, and task-management tools. Use your own domain name.
||Host online meetings with audio and video using one-click screen sharing, HD video conferencing, and
virtual whiteboard. Excellent for distance learning.
||Connect with others via instant message and let people know your availability with your online status.
|File storage and sharing
SkyDrive Pro gives users 7 GB of personal storage that syncs with their PC or Mac for offline access. Easily share documents with others through Office or SharePoint.
||Work together on projects, in study groups, or in clubs with team sites that help keep related documents, notes, tasks, and conversations organized together. Up to 300 subsites. Work together on projects, in study groups, or in clubs with team sites that help keep related documents, notes, tasks, and conversations organized together.
|Office Web Apps
||Create and edit Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Excel documents from any modern browser.
Sync email, calendar, and contacts; access SharePoint sites; view and edit Office documents with Office Web Apps using a browser on Windows Phone, iOS, and Android devices.
|Apps for Office and SharePoint
||New third-party and customer-developed apps work with Office and SharePoint to bring web services right into your documents and sites.
The admin portal provides IT detailed configuration options for their services, either from an online portal or through automated management with PowerShell commands.
||Get peace of mind knowing your services are available with an industry-leading 99.9% uptime SLA.
||Cutting-edge security practices with five layers of security and proactive monitoring help keep your data safe.
||Your data belongs to you. Microsoft does not scan emails or documents for advertising purposes.
|Up to date
||No need to pay for version upgrades; updates are included in your subscription. New features are rolled out to Office 365 customers in an IT-configurable experience.
||24/7 phone support for all IT issues. For less urgent issues, you can make service requests directly through the admin portal.
Some education plans (A plans) also include:
|Office suite included
||Always have the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook1, OneNote, Publisher1, and Access.1
- Capture your ideas however you work best—using a keyboard, pen, or a touchscreen.
- Easily format information in Excel with tools that recognize your pattern and auto-complete data.
- Easily incorporate content from PDFs to create your own great-looking Word documents.
- Design customized marketing materials that fit your brand and customers.
|Office on more devices
||Experience Office on your PC, Mac, Windows tablet, and other select devices. Visit www.office.com/mobile for compatible devices.
|Office on any PC
||Stream full versions of Office programs on any PC with Office on Demand.2
|Advanced email capabilities
||Archiving and legal hold capabilities, plus unlimited storage.
|Advanced voice support
||Hosted voicemail support with auto-attendant capabilities.
|Advanced business intelligence tools
||Create and manage interactive dashboards with multiple data sources.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. If you purchase an Office 365 subscription with the same number of user accounts you created by the end of your free trial, the information and configuration for these users' accounts will remain intact. Once your free trial expires, you won't be able to continue using Office 365 for free. You will have an additional 30 days to purchase Office 365 before your account information is erased. Once your trial account information has been erased, it cannot be retrieved.
Microsoft Experts are trained IT and development companies that can help you move to Office 365 or develop custom solutions for your business. You can find a listing of all of our Microsoft Experts in Microsoft Pinpoint.
One of the Office 365 for government plans (E3) include the latest desktop version of Office, which delivers the best experience for your employees and makes it easy for IT to manage deployment and upgrades. For the Office 365 plans that do not come with the latest desktop version of Office, Office 365 supports Office 2010, Office 2007 (with slightly limited functionality), and Office 2011 for Mac, so you can take advantage of the rich Office 365 cloud services such as business-class email, HD video conferencing, and file sharing.
Find out more
"When we look at our total cost of ownership of GroupWise versus Office 365, we estimate we will easily save about $1 million in the first five years."
Director of Production Services, GSU