After you insert footnotes in a document, you can change them to endnotes, and vice versa.
What do you want to do?
Convert one or more notes to footnotes or endnotes
- Be sure you are in Draft view (click Draft on the status bar).
- On the References tab, in the Footnotes group, click Show Notes.
If your document contains both footnotes and endnotes, a message appears. Click View footnote area or View endnote area, depending on whether you want to convert footnotes or endnotes, and then click OK.
- Select the number of the note or notes that you want to convert, and then right-click.
- Click Convert to Footnote or Convert to Endnote.
Convert all notes to footnotes or endnotes
- On the References tab, click the Footnote & Endnote Dialog Box Launcher.
- Click Convert.
- Click the option that you want, and then click OK.
- Click Close.