| When a SharePoint list gets large, you might see warnings such as, “This list exceeds the list view threshold,” or “Displaying the newest results below.” Find out why these warnings occur, and learn ways to configure your large list so that it still provides useful information.
About this course
This course includes:
- One self-paced lesson.
- A short test at the end of the lesson. The test is not scored.
- A Quick Reference Card you can print at the end of the course.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Learn what the List View Threshold is, and understand its benefits.
- Create an index so that you can see more information in a view.
- Create folders to better organize your large list.
- Use Datasheet view for fast filtering and sorting of a large list.
- Learn what the Daily Time Window for Large Queries is.
- Use Key Filters for fast filtering within Standard view.
- Sync a large list to SharePoint Workspace.
- Export a large list to Excel.
- Link a large list in Access.
Before you begin
This course requires experience working with SharePoint lists, or you can take Lists I: An introduction, Lists II: Create and work with different lists, Lists III: Create a list based on a spreadsheet, and Lists IV: Create a custom list.
This course explains the following warnings, why they happen, and what to do about them:
- “Displaying only the newest results below. To view all results, narrow your query by adding a filter.”
- “Cannot show the value of the filter. The field may not be filterable, or the number of items returned exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.”
- “This view cannot be displayed because it exceeds the list view threshold (5,000 items) enforced by the administrator.”
- “The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.”
See more courses on Microsoft Office Training.