Note To understand the purpose of a PowerPoint template, see What is a PowerPoint template?
When you want your presentation to contain thoughtful arrangement of elements and color, fonts, effects, style, and layout (layout: The arrangement of elements, such as title and subtitle text, lists, pictures, tables, charts, AutoShapes, and movies, on a slide.) to your plain slides, apply a template (template: A file or set of files that contains information about the theme, layout, and other elements of a finished presentation.) (.potx file). This will give you a jump-start on a new, blank presentation.
You can apply templates that are built-in to PowerPoint, created by you and then saved to your computer, or downloaded from Microsoft Office.com or third-party Web sites. To download templates from Microsoft Office.com, see the options available from the PowerPoint Template categories on Office.com.
To apply a template, do the following:
- On the File tab, click New.
- Under Available Templates and Themes, do one of the following:
- To reuse a template that you've recently used, click Recent Templates.
- To use a template that you installed to your local drive previously, click My Templates, click the template that you want, and then click OK.
- Under Office.com Templates, click a template category, select a template, and then click Download to download the template from Office.com to your local drive.
Links to more information about PowerPoint templates