You can cancel your subscription to Office 365 Enterprise or Office 365 Midsize Business at any time by calling Support. The cancellation is effective at the end of the current billing cycle.
Want to tell us why you are canceling? We’re sorry to see you go, and we’d like to know more. At the bottom of this article, please click Not what I was looking for to tell us more about why you are canceling your subscription.
Note You need to use a different cancellation method for some subscriptions, including Office 365 Small Business.
Cancel a subscription
You must be an Office 365 admin to cancel a subscription.
- Remove domains
|If you added your own domain name to use with Office 365, you have to remove the domain. Any DNS records you created that point to Office 365 also have to be updated. For example, you have to change the Name Server (NS) record at your registrar to a different server. (Your registrar typically provides the server name for this record).
- Save your data
You lose access to your Office 365 data when your cancellation becomes effective, so save your files to another location before you go. Any data that you leave behind is permanently deleted 90 days after cancellation.
- Call Support
After you’re prepared, call Support. When you call, to help protect your privacy, we ask you to provide the following information regarding your account:
- The user ID you use to sign in to Office 365
- The phone number associated with your account
- The first and last name of the primary contact for your organization
- The name of your organization as it shows on your Office 365 account
- The complete street address of your organization
The person calling to cancel must be listed as an admin on your Office 365 account.
After your subscription is canceled, if you change your mind, you can reinstate your subscription within 90 days by calling Support.
Important If you canceled using expedited deprovisioning, your data will be deleted within 3 days.Expedited deprovisioning allows you to cancel your subscription and delete all of the data associated with it without waiting the usual 90 days for your data to be deleted from the system. To use expedited deprovisioning, call Support.
Subscriptions with different cancellation methods
You cancel the following subscription types in different ways:
- Office 365 Small Business. If you are subscribed to Office 365 Small Business, you can cancel your subscription in the Office 365 admin portal. See this procedure for more details. To see what subscription you have, click Admin > Manage and purchase licenses.
- Trial subscriptions. You can’t cancel a trial subscription. It automatically expires at the end of the trial period and all data is permanently deleted.
- Product key subscriptions can be canceled but not refunded. If you purchased your subscription with an Office 365 product key, you can cancel this subscription through Microsoft by calling Support. However, you can’t get a refund from Microsoft. You can check with the partner you purchased it from to find out if they will refund your purchase.