Many of the social features available in the latest versions of SharePoint depend on open privacy settings, allowing others in your organization to see your profile information. Settings that prevent others from seeing your information limit the effectiveness of these features. For example, if no one can see when you follow another person or document, you may find it more difficult to collaborate and build a following. Therefore, it’s wise to consider updating these settings.
Note Your organization may limit whether or not you can apply privacy settings to personal details, depending on how it has customized SharePoint sites.
To show or hide your profile information:
- At the top right of any SharePoint site, click your name and then click About me.
- Click edit your profile to display the Edit Details page.
Note In the Basic Information area, all of the settings in the Who can see this? column display Everyone. You can’t change this information, because it’s an essential part of your profile. By contrast, in the Contact Information, Details, and Newsfeed Settings, areas, you can change the default privacy settings in the Who can see this? column.
- To display personal details to everyone, click Contact Information, Details, or Newsfeed Settings, click a selection box, and then select Everyone. Most of your profile details are set to Everyone by default. You may need to click the ellipses (…) to see the Newsfeed Settings item.
- To prevent others from viewing personal information, click Contact Information, Details, or Newsfeed Settings, click a selection box, and then select Only Me.
- Click Save All and Close.
Top of Page