The Government Gateway is an Internet portal provided by the government to give citizens and businesses access to a wide range of online government services. By setting up a Government Gateway account, you can file your annual return online through Payroll for Microsoft Office Accounting 2009. For more information about the year end process, see Payroll year end: overview and checklist.
When you set up your Government Gateway account, you create a user ID and password. The government will send you an Activation PIN by post, which you will use to activate your account. For more information and to register for a Government Gateway account, go to the Government Gateway Web site.
Important To prevent unauthorised use of your Government Gateway account, store your user ID and password in a secure place and do not share your credentials with other users.
After you set up your account, you add your account information to Payroll for Accounting 2009 so that you can easily file online by using the Payroll Year End Wizard.
If you want to file your annual return online, be sure to set up your Government Gateway account well before you need to file. It can take up to seven days for you to receive your Activation PIN by post. You cannot use the Government Gateway without your Activation PIN.
- On the Employees menu, point to Payroll Services, and then click Set Up Government Gateway.
- In the Government Gateway Account Details dialog box, do one of the following:
Type your account details
If you already have a Government Gateway account, type your account details so that Payroll for Accounting 2009 can access the Government Gateway. Under Account details, do the following:
- In User ID, type the user ID you created when you registered for the account.
- In Password, type the password you created when you registered for the account.
- In Confirm password, retype the password.
- For Account status, select the Activated check box if you have activated the account using the Activation PIN you received.
Register for a Government Gateway account
If you do not have a Government Gateway account, under Apply for Government Gateway Account, do the following:
- Click Register to access the Government Gateway Web site, where you can register for an account.
After you receive your Activation PIN, you can return to the Government Gateway Account Details dialog box to add your account details.
- Click OK.